Thursday, May 29, 2008

Karma says don't pass me!!!

I think Revolution owes me for taking two of the UtahMountainbiking guys out last night! Actually it wasn't any I did, they just cramped after trying to pass me.

Last night was the Draper race. I got to the race earlier then expect and had plenty of time to warm up which was a good thing because Thumb McGee and Gringo Pepe parked next to me so I spent some time talking to them while getting ready. After that Kanyon Kris stopped by to chat and we discussed how some people always have an excuse for not showing up when it comes time to race.

After what seemed like an eternity we finally lined up to race. I noticed a few new faces that I suspected were a few roadies looking to get a good workout. I knew the pace would be furious from the go and was just hoping to be able to stay with the main pack. As we started I found myself in the middle of the group and thought I had a good position. As we crossed the creek and headed up the single track was disappointed to find the guy two positions in front of me already laboring up the climbs. I did want I could to get around him and then a few of the really slow 30-34 guys that we had already caught and was stuck in a train all the way to the fire road with the main field out of sight.

On the fire road I settled into a good pace and soon found myself working Utahmountainbiking Greg M as we worked up the climb. We continued to work together most of the way up the climb until just before the gate when I saw Utahmountainbiking Steve B up ahead and decided to to try and get on his wheel.


I managed to drop Greg and just about get on Steve's wheel just before the single track decent when some really fast 40+ and Jr's caught me and got between us. The downhill was great the course was firm but not tacky and was in really great shape. I managed to keep Steve in sight most of the time and then I came around a corner only to find him off the side of the trail looking pretty sick. I pushed on and not too much later got stuck in a really slow train of riders. Passing was tough as I made my way to the BST part of the course and was able to get around a few people. As I came across Highland through the field that looks like you are going downhill but is actually a pretty good grade Steve managed to catch me. He stayed on my wheel as we came through the tunnel and I took the exit a little too wide and had to dab and Steve got around me. It wasn't long after that as we were taking a corner up to the rodeo grounds that Steve took a wrong entrance and had to get off his bike to get back on course. He started to cramp I guess and as I turned off for the half lap managed to put a good gap on him.

At this point I just started to ease up a little on the climbs and as I hit the merge I found myself in the middle of the pro and expert field. I did what I could to move out the way when possible and didn't have much for the short climbs. At one point as I was coming around the golf course I heard a bunch of riders coming fast behind me and moved over a little to let them go. To my surprise Greg was in the group and lucky for me he took a spill as he tried to pass me and cramped up. I didn't know this as I went by him sprawled on the ground and just went as fast as I could all the way to the finish not knowing if he was going to catch me at any minute.

Finally a race I felt pretty good about other then loosing my legs on the second lap. I think I finished 9th which normally would be a big disappointment but the field was a little top heavy this race. Next up Sundance...

2 comments:

UtRider said...

Watch out man, I'm going to pay you a visit and spread the love!

You know how I was talking about racing Soldier Hollow next Wednesday? Well, at dinner last night my wife informed me of my daughter's gymnastics performance that night. So, I won't make the race afterall. Just wanted to make sure you had something good to blog about. :)

Utah Mnt biker said...

It only gets harder and harder to find more free time as the kids get older and have more activities. I'm currently dealing with softball, driver's ed, and end of the year school projects. I feel like a taxi cab some days!

I look forward to seeing more pics and video of the performance.

Modified by Blogcrowds